Thursday, December 9, 2010

Prologue

  I've never been a small girl, I suppose I've always been on the "thicker" side. I love food, and working out wasn't exactly a hobby of mine, so gradually my "thickness" turned into, well... fat. I steadily gained weight for at least 4 or 5 years, yo-yo dieting mixed with random workout here and there, but really I wasn't headed anywhere. This year has been my first REAL attempt at changing not only my physical appearance, but establishing a diet and exercise routine that actually work for me.


January 2010: 263lbs The beginning of the road to a smaller me.
     I started small, and we're talking baby steps here. No soda... Step One. Easy enough right? Wii Fit, a video game that's considered a workout? SWEET! Step Two. I started doing Wii Fit about 3 times a week, still eating whatever I desired, minus the soda. Over the next 2 months I increased it to 5 times a week, occasionally going for a walk in place of Wii Fit and I phased out french fries. By the end of April I had managed to lose 23lbs! I was stoked! My mother, seeing my progress, informed me of a trial she found for Hardcore Fitness Bootcamp, an outdoor workout group. We decided to give it a try...


May 2010: 243lbs Things step up a notch.
     Day one of bootcamp was the hardest workout I had ever put myself through, it made my Wii Fit seem like... a video game. By day two I was incredibly sore from the first day's assessment, but I was back and ready to see what else this 2 week trial had to offer. We worked muscles I didn't even know I had! Each day I thought for sure there was no way I'd make it through the next day, I was always the slowest runner, my knees hurt, my muscles ached and I was completely out of breath. Everyone was very encouraging and it was nice to see the same people there each day working out together. At the end of the 2 week trial, I decided I had to keep coming to bootcamp. I had proved to myself that I could do so much more than I ever would have pushed myself to do on my own, I knew that if I worked hard, this would help me reach my goals.


June 2010: 235lbs The Diet
     The first month of bootcamp was intense, a different muscle group everyday, running a mile  (jogging and walking really) and 3 miles at one point (definitely a lot of walking). I had lost another 8lbs! This is where they introduced a diet to me, calorie counting, low sugar and carbs and a lot of water and lean protein. I decided to give it a shot. It was hard... really hard. I ate 6 small meals per day, each meal slightly different than the last, making subtle changes to try and trick my taste buds into thinking they might be getting into something good. I craved bread, pasta, and chocolate but I knew I needed to really work hard to see results so I stuck to it, cheating a little at first but once the pounds starting literally falling off, it was a lot easier to stick to this new strict diet. I kept it up for nearly 2 months straight, which if you love food the way I do, is a very long time! I was dieting and working out 5 days a week, I was on a roll...


August 2010: 216lbs What goes up, must come down
     I had lost 47lbs in 8 months... and I got lazy. I missed a few days of bootcamp here and there, which eventually led to a full week at a time, then multiple weeks, and my diet failed along with my motivation. I honestly can't even tell you what happened. I was so happy with my weight loss and so proud of myself for coming so far. I wasn't anywhere near the end of my journey, and yet it's like I gave up. I still worked out here and there, but I had to take a month off due to lack of finances and this is where it all went downhill.


October 2010: 222lbs Enjoying my "break" (a little too much)
     For the first time, my weight had INCREASED. I started to freak out a little bit, though I'm not sure what I expected when I began eating whatever I wanted and stopped working out. I decided I needed to get back into it. I went back to bootcamp on a Monday, Tuesday I didn't wake up in time, Wednesday I went, Thursday and Friday I skipped it. I WAS SO LAZY. I was tired, didn't want to wake up in the morning, but couldn't go at night due to work, and I wasn't even making an effort to go for a jog or even do a workout video at home! I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, getting back into my routine was harder than I would've ever imagined.


November 2010: 229lbs A little bit better yet the scale still goes UP.
     I had managed to start going to bootcamp at least 3 times a week, still not enough, but progress I suppose. I couldn't understand why the scale continued to go up, and so fast, when I had started working out more. I was still off the diet and eating pretty much whatever I wanted. I knew I needed to get back on the diet, or at least count calories. It's like the answer was staring me in the face and I just couldn't do it. Something had to change, or else my weight would continue to go up and I just couldn’t take it! I refuse to gain back all my weight! I NEVER want to see the scale go UP ever again! Still having trouble waking up in time for bootcamp, I decided to get a gym membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment